One of the quickest way to install Magento is using Softaculous installation script. Softaculous is a web application Auto Installer software that is integrated with almost all popular control panels like Cpanel, DirectAdmin, Plesk… Softaculous allows web owners installation over 400 web apps in just a few clicks by automating every important steps such as create Database, upload code, change database configuration details.
In this tutorial, I will guide you how to use Softaculous to install Magento in just 5 minutes.
The demo host we use in this tutorial is SiteGround, we will install Magento using Softaculous in SiteGround’s cPanel. In case you are looking for other hosting providers, check out the list of top 10 best Magento hosting providers here
Step 1: Access Softaculous
In your hosting’s Cpanel, scroll down to Autoinstaller section and click on Softaculous
In Softaculous interface, click on Ecommerce script type on the left side bar and select Magento
Now we are ready to install Magento, let’s proceed to the next steps with installation setting
Step 2: Configure Magento installation setting
In Magento installation interface, click on Install tab and you will see the following details
Next, we will complete details in the installation setting.
- Choose the version you want to install: Select Magento version you want to install. In this tutorial, we will install the latest version of Magento 1, Magento 22.214.171.124
- Choose Protocol: Select protocol of your website, HTTP or HTTPS. We recommend using HTTPS for your store to secure transaction and build trust for customers, however, if you don’t have an SSL certificate or you’re not ready for HTTPS, select HTTP protocol.
- Choose Domain: enter the domain of your store
- In Directory: Specify where Softaculous will put your Magento installtio, leave this field blank to install on root folder of domain
- CRON Job: Cron Job are tasks that are scheduled to run at a specific time, leave this default if your store is new. We can change this later.
In the next section, we will complete Site Setting information for Magento
- Admin Path: path to access admin section of your store, for example: magebeginnerstore.com/admin
- Admin account: specify admin username and password to access backend of your store
- First Name, Last Name: set first name and last name of admin account.
- Admin Email: set admin email to receive system email or order email.
In advanced section, you can set database name, table prefix of your database and enable auto upgrade. change backup location for your Magento installation
When everything is done, click on Install to proceed
Step 3: Finish installation process
Wait for awhile when the installation processing. When it’s done you will see this page
Now your magento website is ready to use. You can access Magento site with the url: http://testdomain.com/magento and the URL to access Admin page is:: http://testdomain.com/magento/index.php/admin
Softaculous makes it easier for web owners with little to no technical background. Please drop a comment below if you have any suggestion or question.